Ruwwad Palestine works with youths, children and women in five villages located in the west of Ramallah. Budrus, Qibya, Ni’lin, Der Qiddis and Shiqba used to be part of Ramleh prior to the Nakba of 1948, and have subsequently been annexed to Ramallah and Al-Beireh, after losing thousands of donums to the Israeli Occupation. The villages are, for the most part, poverty-stricken and suffer various inequities and severe shortages in basic services.
Its original area was 12,000 donums. Today, due to the Israeli occupation and systematic land confiscation, the village is only able to claim ownership of 7,935 donums. With a population of around 2,000, the village suffers from high rates of school dropouts, destitution and soaring unemployment (40%). The village lacks a proper sewage system and faces regular electricity and water shortages.
The population of Qibya counts for around 7,000, the highest of all surrounding villages. It is the only village in west Ramallah that lacks agricultural land and several basic utilities, such as a sewage system and street lighting.
The land of Ni’lin village extended over 58,000 donums before 1948. Today, only 9,000 donums have been spared. Ni’lin’s population is at approximately 5,400.
The village originally encompassed an area of around 9,500 donums, 6,000 donums of which have been spared from confiscation for settlement building and the Israeli separation wall. The population of Der Qiddis is at 2,300.
Around 4,500 Palestinians live in Shiqba, which spreads over 13,850 donums.